one of a kind lilies are created through hybridizing. There are
different ways to hybridize based on the hybridizers preference and
You can go whatever path you want with a goal in mind, or not. If pretty on pretty suits you than go for it.
At Lilyfield we have a few goals that are constants each year, with
other goals that change from year to year. Using specific parent
plants we can get close to creating the plants we
Lilyfields Goals Each Year
* Tall, sturdy, straight plants.
* Pyramid shaped inflorencence
* High bud count. Secondary blooms.
* Botrytis resistant.
* Interdivisional combinations.
* Medium multiplication rate, requiring more years between dividing.
Lilyfield Goals over the Years
* White edges.
* Starburst centres.
* Martagon x Asiatic
* Ruffled edges.
* Late blooming.
* Short lilies
How to Hybridize
With goals in mind and a growing season ahead, hybridizing is simple.
* Take the pollen from the father plant and place it on the stigma of the mother plant.
* It is prudent to protect the cross from roaming
butterflies and other creatures. You can do this by covering the
stigma with a piece of tinfoil.
* Label your cross with Pod x Pollen parent (Mother x Father) for your records.
Mother plant's stigma 'Tristar' x Father plant's pollen 'Latvia'